Keith K. Suzuka
Keith Kiyoshi Suzuka is a partner in the firm's Business/Real Estate Practice Group. Having spent roughly half of his professional career in Hawaii and half in Tokyo, Japan (approximately 15 years), Keith brings a unique set of skills, experience and perspective in servicing our firm's clients.
- Representation of both sellers and buyers in the acquisition or disposition of hotels, shopping centers, office buildings and developable land in Hawaii, Japan, Saipan, Guam and Italy.
- Representation of hotel owners in both Hawaii and Japan in negotiations re: hotel management agreements, build-out and pre-opening services agreement.
- Representation of owners, developers and contractors re: the development and construction of resorts, hotels, office buildings and shopping centers in both Hawaii and Japan.
- Representation of both landlords and tenants in lease negotiations for retail, commercial, industrial and development projects in the U.S., Republic of Saudi Arabia, Japan and other parts of Asia.
- Representation of both lenders and borrowers in connection with loans, financing structures, and loan work-outs and restructurings in the U.S., Cayman Islands, Republic of Singapore, Republic of Thailand and Japan.
- Representation in M&A transactions and joint venture and business alliance arrangements involving, among others, hotel chains, a chain of department stores, a chain of restaurants, technology companies, a theme-park owner/operator, telecommunication companies, a data-processing company, auto manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, financial institutions, securities and investment companies, airlines, insurance companies and consumer electronics companies in the U.S., Japan, Republic of Thailand, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of India, and worldwide.
- Representation of U.S. and Japan clients in cross-border real estate-related commercial litigation matters.
Areas of Practice
- General Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Loans and Workouts
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Joint Ventures
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 1984
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - May, 1984
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
- B.A. - December, 1979
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Phi Kappa Phi
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Kansai Gaikokugo Daigaku, Hirakata-Shi, Osaka, Japan
- Certificate of Completion - May, 1981
- E-Cornell - Hotel Real Estate Investments and Asset Management
- Certificate of Completion - April, 2012
- Japan: A Primer for Lawyers, Hawaii Bar Association CLE, 2007
- Co-author, Chapter on Japanese Real Property and Securitization Law, Wolters Kluwer Law and Business/Aspen Publishers, pp 263 to 330, October, 2007
- Committee of Specialists for the Translation of Japanese Laws Translation Team for the English translation of Japan's Copyright Act
- Editor of Japan, A Primer for Lawyers, Hawaii State Bar Association CLE, 2007
- Adjunct Professor, American Property Law, Keio University, School of Law (Fall 2006; Fall 2005)
- Speaker, Japanese Legal Market, Developments in Japanese Law and Related Areas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Translation Experts Council for the Ministry of Justice of Japan, Quasi-Member, 2005 - 2006
- Law Translation Experts Council for the Ministry of Justice of Japan, Official Member, 2007 - 2012
- Hawaii State Bar Association, 1984 - Present
- Hawaii Bar, Section on Real Property & Financial Services, Member, 1984 - Present
- Gaikokuho Bengoshi, Daini Tokyo Bengoshikai, 2000 - 2012
Past Employment Positions
- Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu, Head Foreign Attorney, 2000 - 2012
- White & Case, Attorney, 1999 - 2000
- Nagashima & Ohno, 1990 - 1992