Robert G. Klein
Robert G. Klein (former Associate Justice, Hawai‘i Supreme Court) has an active litigation practice that includes many areas of the law, including: complex civil litigation, construction litigation, government relations, administrative hearings and appeals, appellate practice, and alternative dispute resolution. He has litigated cases involving construction contracts, insurance subrogation, patent infringement, destination clubs/time share, public access, Native Hawaiian rights, real estate exactions, closely held corporations, trusts and wills, corporate governance and investigations, land use/ CC&Rs, constitutional rights, corporate taxation, serious bodily injury, car fires, and statutory construction and interpretation. Mr. Klein has appeared before state trial courts on Oahu, Maui, Kaua‘i, and Hawai‘i Island, the State Supreme Court, Intermediate Court of Appeals, as well before the Federal District Court for the District of Hawai‘i and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Klein served as Associate Justice of the Hawai‘i Supreme Court from 1992-2000 and in the trial courts of Hawai‘i for 14 years from 1978-1992. He authored hundreds of Supreme Court decisions during his tenure on the High Court. He is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating given.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Government Relations
- Administrative Hearings and Appeals
- Appellate Practice
- Elder Law
- Hawaii, 1972
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 1972
- University of Oregon School of Law, Eugene, Oregon
- J.D. - 1972
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- B.A. - 1969
- AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company, New York, N. Y.
- CB Richard Ellis Investors, Los Angeles, Ca.
- Cooley Godward, LLP, San Diego, Ca.
- County of Hawai'i
- Douglas Emmett Properties LLP, Los Angeles, Ca.
- Dowling Company, Inc., Maui
- Exclusive Resorts, Denver, Colo.
- Fifield Realty Corp, Chicago, Il.
- Fireman's Fund Insurance Co., Novato, Ca.
- First Data Corporation/Peace Software, Inc., Atlanta, Ga.
- Fox Rothschild, LLP, Philadelphia, Penna.
- Fujikan Hawai'i, Ltd.
- Gold Coast Neighborhood Association, Honolulu
- Hart Intercivic, Inc., Austin, Texas
- Hawai'i Association of Professional Employer Organizations
- Hawai'i Association of Realtors
- Hawai'i Island Air, Inc.
- Hawai'i Superferry
- Hoana Medical, Inc., Honolulu, HI
- Jacoby Development, James Jacoby, Atlanta, Ga.
- Kerzner International, South Africa
- Kolohala Venture Fund I, LLLP
- Lonely Planet Publications, Melbourne, Australia
- Malulani Group, Limited
- Martinez, Luis, San Antonio, Tx.
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Oceanit Laboratories, Inc., Honolulu, HI
- Office of Hawaiian Affairs
- Parsons Corporation, Los Angeles, Ca.
- Parsons RCI Construction, Inc., Los Angeles, Ca.
- Shell Vacations (Wyndham Worldwide), Parsippany, N. J.
- St. Francis Healthcare System, Honolulu, HI
- Sullivan and Cromwell, New York, N. Y.
- University of Hawai'i
- VDF Futureceuticals, Momence, Il.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Member
- AV Preeminent Rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
Past Employment Positions
- Hawai'i Supreme Court, Senior Associate Justice, 1992 - 2000
- Criminal Trials Court, Circuit Court Judge, 1984 - 1992
- Civil Trials Court, Circuit Court Judge, 1984 - 1992
- Tax Court, Circuit Court Judge, 1984 - 1992
- Land Court, Circuit Court Judge, 1984 - 1992
- Motions Court, Circuit Court Judge, 1984 - 1992
- Administrative Appeals and Probate Court, Circuit Court Judge, 1984 - 1992
- State of Hawai'i, District Court Judge, 1978 - 1984
- Department of Regulatory Agencies, Complaints Officer, 1975 - 1978
- State Campaign Spending Commission, Executive Director, 1974
- Anti-Trust Division, Deputy Attorney General, 1973
- Law Clerk, Hawai'i Supreme Court Chief Justice William S. Richardson, 1972