Mr. Hirai’s practice is concentrated primarily in public finance. He has over 30 years of experience as a public finance attorney, serving variously as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, trustee’s counsel and credit enhancer’s counsel in a broad range of taxable and tax-exempt bond issues for state and local governmental units, including government infrastructure financings and conduit financings for non-governmental health care, educational, housing, industrial and commercial facilities. Mr. Hirai’s public finance experience includes a wide variety of fixed and variable rate interest structures; private and governmental insurance, letters of credit, standby bond purchase agreements and other forms of credit or liquidity support for bond issues; capital lease transactions, including offerings of certificates of participation; various forms of pooled and composite offerings of securities; complex refunding transactions and tender offers; and innovative workouts of troubled financings.
Mr. Hirai also has substantial experience representing business entities and nonprofit organizations in a variety of business, corporate, health care and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining McCorriston, Mr. Hirai practiced for 18 years (1977-1995) with the law firm of Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP (now Ballard Spahr LLP), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was a member of the firm’s public finance department and interdisciplinary health care practice group.
- Pennsylvania, 1977
- Hawaii, 1996
University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. cum laude - 1977
Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
- B.A. - 1974
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers, 2007 - 2014
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Business Law Section, Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Real Property and Financial Services Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Section, Member
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American College of Bond Counsel
Past Employment Positions
- Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Associate, 1977 - 1985