A partner in the firm's litigation department, Jesse Smith is a civil trial attorney whose practice focuses on a diverse client group involved in local, international, and cross-border disputes. Born and raised in the snowy Northeast, Mr. Smith obtained his B.A. with honors from Hamilton College, where he wrote an award winning paper on the Bakumatsu period of Japanese history. Prior to moving to Hawaii to attend law school at the William S. Richardson School of Law, Mr. Smith lived in Japan for four years, and was a participant on the Japan Exchange Teaching Programme, earning certificates in Japanese language and interpretation. While in law school, Mr. Smith served as an Editor-in-Chief of the Asian Pacific Law and Policy Journal, studied international arbitration law with a former member of the World Trade Organization’s Appellate Body, and was an award-winning member of the law school’s Native American Moot Court team. Prior to joining McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon LLP as an associate attorney in 2011, Mr. Smith clerked for the Honorable Lisa M. Ginoza, Chief Judge of the Intermediate Court of Appeals, State of Hawaii.
- Hawaii, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2013
University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law, Honolulu, Hawaii
- J.D. cum laude - 2010
- Honors: Pacific Asian Legal Studies Certificate - 2010
- Law Journal: Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal, Co-Editor-in-Chief, 2009 - 2010
Hamilton College, Clinton, New York
- B.A. (with honors) - 2000
- Major: East Asian Studies
- Minor: History
- Teruki Tsunemoto, Commentary on Important Legal Precedents for 2007: Trends in Constitutional Law Cases, 10 ASIAN-PAC. L. & POL'Y J. 519 (Mark A. Levin & Jesse Smith trans., 2009).
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers: Hawaii Rising Stars (2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017).
- National Business Institute, Honolulu, HI
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Screen Actors Guild
Past Employment Positions
- Intermediate Court of Appeals, State of Hawaii, Law Clerk to the Honorable Lisa M. Ginoza, 2010 – 2011