In 2014, Marguerite S.N. Fujie (fka Marguerite S. Nozaki) joined McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon in the firm's litigation department. Her practice areas focus primarily on complex civil and commercial litigation, trust litigation, and employment matters. She is admitted to practice before all of the courts of the State of Hawaii as well as the Federal District Court for the District of Hawaii, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Mrs. Fujie graduated from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, with a Bachelor's Degree in English, and went on to obtain her Juris Doctorate from Gonzaga University School of Law in Spokane, Washington. After returning home in 2006, she was admitted to the Hawaii State Bar Association, and practiced in the areas of insurance defense, workers' compensation, complex civil and commercial litigation, trust litigation, medical malpractice. Mrs. Fujie is also a former government attorney who represented various departments of the City and County of Honolulu, including the Honolulu Police Department, with a focus in civil rights litigation and employment law.
Having served two terms as a Director on the Young Lawyers Division of the Hawaii State Bar Association, and the co-chairperson of a number of committees, Mrs. Fujie is very active in the legal community. As part of her commitment to giving back to the legal community and the public at large, Mrs. Fujie has also served as a mock trial coach for McKinley High School, participated in the YLD Junior Judges Program as well as high school career fairs, and volunteers her time to several community outreach and legal education programs.
- Hawaii, 2006
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2014
Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington
- J.D. - 2006
University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
- B.A. - 2002
Honors and Awards
- Cali Award for Legal Research & Writing III
- Hemingway Award - Prose Poetry Compilation: "Ethnocentricity"
- UH Honors Program
- Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society
- Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
- Golden Key Honors Society
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Bitz & Clinton, P.S., Law Clerk
- Honorable Christine E. Kuriyama, First Circuit, State of Hawaii Family Court, Law Clerk/Legal Extern
- Prosecutors' Office for District Court, Spokane, Washington, Legal Extern
- Several Private firms in Honolulu, Associate Attorney
- The Department of the Corporation Counsel, City & County of Honolulu, Deputy Corporation Counsel, Litigation Division - Civil Rights & Employment Section
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Legal Services of Hawaii
- HSBA Young Lawyers Division Mock Trial Coach, Legal Lines, Law Clinics, KHON Action Line, Professionals Socials, and Junior Judges
- Arbitrator - Court Annexed Arbitration Program