- Professionals :
- Practice Specialties
- Teaching Seminars
A partner in the firm’s litigation department, Jesse J.T. Smith is a civil trial attorney whose practice focuses on a diverse client group involved in local, international, and cross-border disputes.
Born and raised in the snowy Northeast, Jesse obtained his B.A. with honors from Hamilton College, where he wrote an award- winning paper on the Bakumatsu period of Japanese history. Prior to moving to Hawaii to attend law school at the William S. Richardson School of Law, he lived in Japan for four years, and was a participant on the Japan Exchange Teaching Program, earning certificates in Japanese language and interpretation.
While in law school, Jesse served as an Editor-in-Chief of the Asian Pacific Law and Policy Journal, studied international arbitration law with a former member of the World Trade Organization’s Appellate Body, and was an award-winning member of the law school’s Native American Moot Court team. He earned CALI Excellence for the Future Awards for receiving the highest grade in the class in Trust & Estates, Second Year Seminar, Asian Comparative Labor Law, and IP Strategies – Global Trademarks and Brands.
Prior to joining McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon LLP as an associate attorney in 2011, Jesse clerked for the Honorable Lisa M. Ginoza, (now) Chief Judge of the Intermediate Court of Appeals, State of Hawaii.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2013
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii, 2010
- Hawaii, 2010
- J.D. (2010) University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law, cum laude, Pacific Asian Legal Studies Certificate, Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal - Co- Editor-in-Chief
- B.A. (2000) East Asian Studies, Minor in History, Hamilton College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Screen Actors Guild
Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Products Liability, Personal Injury and Insurance Defense
- Professional Liability
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate – State and Federal
- Super Lawyers: Hawaii Rising Stars (2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017)
- Civil Trial from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii (June 2019)
- Applying the Rules of Civil Procedures in Hawaii, National Business Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii (May 2015)
- Everything You Don’t Know About E-Discovery (But Wish You Did), National Business Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii (November 2014)
- Teruki Tsunemoto, Commentary on Important Legal Precedents for 2007: Trends in Constitutional Law Cases, 10 ASIAN-PAC. L. & POL’Y J. 519 (Mark A. Levin & Jesse Smith trans., 2009).
- Tort Law Desk Reference: A Fifty-State Compendium (Hawaii)