Randall Sakumoto joined McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon LLP in 1989 as a member of the firm’s business/real estate department. His practice focuses primarily on the acquisition and development of commercial real estate in the State of Hawaii.
From 1992 to 1994, Randall worked as a foreign law consultant at the Tokyo law firm of Nagashima & Ohno (now known as Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu), where he worked closely with Japanese banks and investment companies which had acquired significant commercial real estate holdings in Hawaii during Japan’s “Bubble Economy”.
Since returning to Hawaii in 1994, a large part of Randall’s practice has focused on land use, zoning and entitlement matters, including State and County permits and approvals. He represents land owners and developers in connection ongoing real estate projects on Oahu, the Big Island, Maui and Kauai.
From 1997 through 1999, he served as a consultant to the City and County of Honolulu, Department of Planning and Permitting in connection with the rewriting of a substantial portion of the City’s Land Use Ordinance.
In 2002, Randall was appointed to the State Land Use Commission. He served on the LUC from 2002 to 2006, including one year as co-vice chair (2004-2005) and one year as chair (2005-2006).
- Hawaii, 1988
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii, 1988
- J.D. (1988) University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B.A. (1984) University of California, Los Angeles, magna cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii Developers’ Council, Board Member and Secretary, 2000 - 2002
- American Land Title Association, Member 1999 - 2013
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Sections, Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Real Property and Financial Services Sections, Member
- Acquisitions & Dispositions
- Commercial and Construction Lending
- Land Use and Entitlements
- Residential, Commercial and Hotel Development
- Residential, Retail & Commercial Leasing
- Title and Escrow
- Hawaii District Court Landlord-Tenant Manual, Contributing author, 1996