M4’s public finance attorneys provide a full range of legal services in bond financings by state and local government agencies and authorities. Our attorneys are experienced in handling tax-exempt and taxable bond financing transactions for a wide variety of facilities and projects, including public buildings, streets, water and sewer facilities, primary and secondary schools, college and university facilities, economic development projects, housing facilities and health care facilities. The combined resources of the Firm’s other practice groups are also available to public finance clients to ensure that their particular needs and circumstances are addressed appropriately in the context of their financing plans.
The Firm’s public finance attorneys have played key roles in numerous bond financing transactions, serving variously in these transactions as bond counsel, special counsel to state and local bond issuers, underwriter’s counsel, counsel to bond trustees, counsel to nonprofit organizations and private developers of bond-financed facilities and counsel to credit enhancement or liquidity support providers for bond issues. In these roles, they have had significant responsibilities in all aspects of bond financing transactions, including: development of appropriate financing plans and structures; compliance with state bond laws and with federal and state tax and securities laws; negotiation and preparation of principal financing and security documents, credit enhancement and liquidity support documents, and bond underwriting or placement agreements; and preparation of official statements and other bond offering circulars used in the marketing of bond issues.
- Completed over 150 public finance transactions since the inception of M4’s public finance practice in 1996
- Participated in transactions primarily as bond counsel or underwriter’s counsel
- Completed transactions include:
- Public offerings and private placements of municipal securities
- Taxable and tax-exempt bonds, notes and capitalized leases (including certificates of participation in leases)
- Financings for the State, all four Counties, Guam and the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands as issuers