Brian T. Hirai joined the firm in 1996 as a member of its business/real estate department. His practice is concentrated primarily in public finance. He has over 40 years of experience as a public finance attorney, serving variously as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, trustee’s counsel and credit enhancer’s counsel in a broad range of taxable and tax-exempt bond issues for state and local governmental units, including government infrastructure financings and conduit financings for non-governmental health care, educational, housing, industrial and commercial facilities.
Brian’s public finance experience includes a wide variety of financing structures; private and governmental insurance, letters of credit, and other forms of credit or liquidity support; capital lease transactions, including certificates of participation; various forms of pooled and composite offerings of securities; and innovative workouts of troubled financings.
Brian also has substantial experience representing business entities and nonprofit organizations in a variety of business, corporate, health care and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining McCorriston, Brian practiced for 18 years (1977-1995) with the law firm of Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP (now Ballard Spahr LLP), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was a member of the firm’s public finance department and interdisciplinary health care practice group.
- Hawaii, 1996
- Pennsylvania, 1977-2019
- J.D. (1977) University of Pennsylvania Law School, cum laude
- B.A. (1974) Drake University, with Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Business Law Section, Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Real Property and Financial Services Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Section, Member
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American College of Bond Counsel
Real Estate and Real Estate Finance
• Commercial and Construction Lending